Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Our little Kaylee Bug...

Today our little peanut is 1 week old! Time is going by so fast and it's amazing how much I can see a difference in her everyday. I think after everything I went through in the hospital to have her, I have been rewarded with a 'good baby.' She can sleep through anything (thank goodness because when the dogs bark I'm always afraid they are going to wake her up), she is getting better at sleeping for longer periods of time and she is pretty content even if no one is holding her she will just sit there and look around. The first few days after she was born while we were still in the hospital she would startle herself constantly. It was so funny to see her throw her arms up in the air (this probably wouldn't have been funny if she cried but she would just look around like she didn't know what happened). When we brought her home we put her in her swing and turned the mobile on above her head but she never would look at it. As of yesterday she finally figured out something was up there and just stared at it forever.

She is already a daddy's girl... go figure... if she's upset and Daniel is home, all I have to do is hand her to him and she is happy again. I have been working on writing her birth story since last Thursday but still haven't finished it! Hopefully I can get that done by the end of this week. It is very long, but what can you expect, from the time that they started the pitocin to the time that Kaylee was born was 30 hours. Not only do I need to finish it because it's bugging me that it's taking so long, but as days go by I'm forgetting more and more about what happened which is something that is really bothering me.

Last night when Daniel and I were sitting outside talking I realized that I don't even remember when I saw Kaylee for the first time... I think I remember someone pushing her into my room but I don't remember seeing her. Realizing this killed me. Most mothers get to see their baby immediately when they are born and have memories of holding them for the first time and can remember the first thing they thought when they saw their baby, what their husband said, etc... Knowing that I don't have any of that seems unfair. I'm posting this before the birth story so your probably wondering what happened... long story short, the anesthesiologist had to put me completely under for the c-section. The first memories I have of seeing Kaylee are when she was brought into my room the morning after I had her. She was laying in her little bed (a clear plastic container looking thing) and she was wide awake.

Even though things didn't go as planned I'm lucky to have a healthy little girl and in the end that's all that really matters. I think these 2 pictures are my favorites of Daniel & Kaylee so far... I don't really have many with me and Kaylee because I have been so swollen that I look rediculous! I'm not talking about a little swelling... in the hospital my face looked like I'd been beaten up in a fight and even now, a week later, my legs are still so swollen that Daniel and my mom still have to pick them up and put them on the bed or the couch (where ever it is that I'm sleeping) because I can't lift them on my own. But over the past day I've noticed the swelling slowly starting to go down. I'll just be glad when I can be completely recovered from all of this and be able to enjoy taking care of little miss Kaylee.

She looks so warm and cozy!

Daddy and his little girl...


  1. Awww! She is precious! Congrats! :)

    I didn't get to hold Cameron right after he was born either. I really didn't even get to look at him because they whisked him off to the NICU and I had to get stitches. It makes me sad because I so wanted those first photos and memories too. I had my hubby take photos of him while he was on the little baby table getting cleaned and everything just so I could see his face before they took him.

  2. She is so gorgeous! Congratulations!!

    I had a c-section with my son as well, although I wasn't put under. The swelling I can relate to. When I look at pictures the few days after I look like a balloon!!! It took me about a month before my legs looked like my legs again.....but it gets better, I promise :)

    Again, congratulations on your beautiful and healthy little angel :)